Work With Us
You will be part of a small, tight-knit, and dynamic publishing team that is passionate about comics, books, and consuming any kind of creative media. We believe in inclusivity, work-life balance, and we value creativity and a willingness to learn.
What We Promise You
- Room to grow and learn: We’re invested in helping you reach your personal and professional goals. We have an annual learning fund for permanent staff to use at your discretion. If you want to learn to fly drones or take sign language classes—the fund is there to support you.
- A commitment to your overall well-being: We believe in work-life balance and are committed to ensuring our staff maintain good mental and physical health. We have a mental wellness fund for employees.
- A creative and fun working environment: We love experimenting and trying new things. We have regular book club meetings, gaming days, and a team bonding fund for role-playing games (and other activities).
- Diverse culture: We expand each other’s work and life experiences through interactions and activities shared with a larger group of co-workers within the holdings group company, Potato Productions.
- Flexible work arrangement: We’re able to collaborate remotely but we have a cool office space where we meet to facilitate discussions and in-person meetings. If you need a desk there, you’ll have it.
Sales & Publishing Executive / Manager
As part of the Marketing and Business Development team, you will report to the Publisher and work closely with the Marketing and Business Development leads. You will play a key role in promoting and selling our comics and graphic novels, in print and digital formats, to various distribution channels, retailers, and partners. You will also spearhead our internal e-commerce operations. Beyond your sales responsibilities, you will also assist the Publisher on administrative and operational tasks related to running the publishing house. You will be part of a small but dynamic team, and will be an integral part of our work process. We believe in helping each other out, being inclusive, having work-life balance, and we value creativity and a willingness to learn.
Main Role & Responsibilities:
Sales & Distribution
- Conceptualise and effectively execute creative sales and pricing strategies for Difference Engine’s print, digital, and merchandise products that are aligned with our goals and objectives. This includes promotional campaigns, discounts, and special offers to boost sales and increase market visibility.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with existing and new sales clients, including local, regional, and international distributors, wholesalers, retailers, bookstores, and other sales-specific B2B partners and organisations.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the DE in-house ecommerce Shopify platform.
- Take point on book sales at events, workshops, and pop-ups, etc., with assistance from the business development and events team.
- Set, track, and achieve sales targets on a regular basis for DE’s titles and merchandise.
- Provide accurate and timely sales reports, forecasts, and market insights for the team.
- Maintain an accurate database of stocks and sales from all sales and distribution transactions (via distribution partners, bookstores, e-commerce, or pop-up fairs). Be the point person for annual stock take and reporting to Potato Productions accounting team for annual financial year closures.
- In conjunction with the Marketing and Business Development teams, create sales and promotional materials (e.g. information and/or sell sheets) needed for prospective and existing clients.
- Proactively identify and pursue new sales opportunities via cold calls, emails, and online/in-person meetings. Conduct regular follow-ups to nurture leads and convert them into sales.
- Effectively develop product presentations to showcase our portfolio of titles to prospective and existing clients, highlighting their value propositions and unique selling points. Be able to professionally and confidently present to clients.
- Stay updated on market and industry trends, competitor activities, and market developments to identify potential growth opportunities and adapt sales and pricing strategies accordingly.
- In collaboration with the DE team, review pitches and submissions, as well as conceptualise and develop ideas for new products and projects.
- Assist the Publisher in the preparation and distribution of royalty statements, reports, grant documents, presentations, and other relevant materials.
- Assist the Publisher in maintaining accurate records, databases, and filing systems for day-to-day and ad-hoc operations.
- Contribute to the overall improvement of DE’s processes and operational efficiency.
- The above-mentioned tasks will be supported by the Potato Productions accounting team.
What We’re Looking For:
- Track record and/or experience in sales, preferably in the publishing, bookselling, or related industries. Enjoys reading comics and graphic novels (print and digital).
- Excellent verbal and written communicator, with a knack for writing engaging sales copy and the ability to talk to a variety of people from different backgrounds.
- Confident, approachable, and professional, with the ability to cultivate strong, long-lasting relationships with clients and business partners.
- Diplomatic and tactful in dealing with clients. Mindful of, and open to learning about, cultural differences that might exist when working with regional and international partners and clients.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Workspace software, i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint and/or their equivalents. Willingness to learn new software to plug knowledge or skill gaps.
- Meticulous, highly organised, and detail oriented. Comfortable with numbers.
- Good problem-solving skills. Able to work independently, take initiative, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Positive outlook, with the ability to adapt to dynamic, fast-paced environments and situations, both on and offline.
- Able to work outside of office hours and on weekends (with replacement time-off given) and travel for work when required.
- [Bonus Skills] Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about digital project management, productivity, and financial tools and applications. For example, Notion, Asana, Slack, Expensify, etc. Willingness to learn new software to plug knowledge or skill gaps.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (do not send your application via the contact form, or to our general email).
Please include these items in your email:
- Your resume with contact details.
- A cover letter with some background about yourself and why you would like to work with Difference Engine.
- Your expected salary range and notice period.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday, 2 January 2024.
Please note that this position is open to Singaporeans/PRs and applicants who have the relevant work permits that allow them to live and work in Singapore.